I love thick, chewy steel cut oats, but I have neither the time nor desire to make them from scratch on a busy morning. Thankfully there is a quick solution! Overnight steel cut oats. Five minutes of prep time in the evening, and you will have a pot of delicious, perfectly-cooked steel cut oats in the morning. Best of all, this recipe makes a huge batch. Just store the leftovers in the fridge, or portion out into individual containers for a grab-and-go breakfast!
- 1-1/2 cups steel cut oats
- 6 cups water
- Combine steel cut oats and water in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Let boil for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat, cover and let pot sit on the stove overnight!
My top 3 steel cut oat flavor combinations:
- Oats with fresh blueberries, chopped walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Oats with dried cranberries, orange peel, and a few white chocolate chips.
- Top oats with butter and Parmesan cheese. Serve with fried or scrambled eggs!
Note for my gluten-free friends: If you eat gluten-free, be sure your oats are certified “gluten-free.”
Are you a fan of steel cut oats? What’s your favorite flavor combo?