I’ve been meal planning for a long time, so the process is routine and automatic. I don’t spend hours pouring over recipes, cookbooks or browsing on Pinterest. When something sounds good, I make a mental note to add it to the plan.
My meals are simple, most don’t require a formal recipe, and my plan is FLEXIBLE. The means I have options for meals and snacks, but I don’t tie them to a particular day.
I try to have a plan written by Thursday so I have the weekend to shop. I don’t spend hours “prepping” my meals. When I pull out onions to chop for one recipe, I’ll just chop enough for all my meals. In other words, I prep as I go.
I generally choose 2-3 options for breakfasts, lunchs and snacks. For dinner, I choose a MAXIMUM of three meals, and two of those will do double duty. This means tonight’s crockpot garlic chicken becomes tomorrow’s chicken tacos. This simple “redo” is an incredible time saver!
Here’s my meal plan for the week of July 15. Just click to download a printable PDF:
This week’s plan is super simple. I don’t use recipes for any of these meals. I may use a recipe or list of ingredients as an inspiration, but I’m a free spirit chef. However, I’ve included links to actual instructions and ingredient lists in case you prefer a little more structure.
Greek Salad (add any protein on hand – chicken works well)
Green Smoothie (add any frozen or fresh fruit or berries)
Chicken Salad with Pecans and Grapes (I sub Greek yogurt for most of the mayo)
- Serves: 1 serving
- Serving size: 1
- 2 frozen sprouted corn tortillas (I use Food for Life) brand
- 4 ounces baked or grilled fish (I like cod, catfish, tilapia)
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- ⅓ cup fresh pico de gallo (I use store-bought)
- Juice of ½ lime
- Sea salt
- Plain Greek yogurt, optional
- Combine cabbage, pico and juice of ½ lime. Set aside.
- Warm tortillas in toaster. (If you warm the tortillas you can fold like a traditional taco. I prefer to toast them until crispy and make mine more like a tostada.)
- Spread tortillas with avocado. Top with fish and pico/cabbage mixture. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Optional: Top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
For more meal planning help: