Friday night I found myself in a battle of wills – lil ‘ol me versus a carrot cake. Not a store-bought cake, mind you, which would be tough enough to resist. I’m talking a real, homemade carrot cake. Moist cake with flecks of grated carrot, hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and chunks of walnuts. Topped with fluffy cream cheese frosting. How’s a girl to resist??
Thankfully I was surrounded by people who know I blog about health and fitness and I couldn’t let them see me give into my sugar cravings.
Score one for peer pressure!
But the carrot cake had a hold on me. I can walk into a room and immediately forget what I was looking for, but I could not get the carrot cake out of my mind. What’s a weight-conscious woman with a sweet craving to do?
Create a taste-alike version.
I decided to make a superfood protein shake with similar flavors. Carrots, nutmeg and cinnamon in a creamy vanilla shake. Walnuts blended right in, with more on top for extra crunch.
The only thing that’s missing is the cream cheese frosting. And the calories. And the saturated fat. And the sugar. And the guilt.
This Carrot Cake Shakeology shake is delicious, and it’s packed with protein, superfood nutrients, tons of Vitamin A, calcium and healthy fats. Best of all, it’s FILLING and can be a meal substitution when you’re in a pinch.
- 1 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup baby carrots (about 6)
- 1 scoop vanilla Shakeology (or substitute vanilla protein powder)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Few dashes cinnamon
- Few dashes nutmeg
- Combine almond milk and carrots in blender. Process until smooth.
- Set aside half of the chopped walnuts.
- Add remaining ingredients to carrot mixture. Blend until completely smooth.
- Garnish with remaining walnuts. Enjoy!
Do you make dessert shakes? What’s your favorite flavor combination?