My Diet Philosophy
Be forewarned – my opinions are exactly that – MY opinions. I am not a doctor, dietician or health professional. My opinions have evolved over a lifetime of (mostly unsuccessful) dieting and finally an 80+ pound weight loss that I have maintained for five years.
A diet plan must be sustainable.
I like the word “diet” less and less each passing year. I truly believe it was my first diet, undertaken as a teen, that triggered a lifelong obsession with my weight. I believe I never would have binged, had I not first restricted myself with a diet. So “diet” is literally and figuratively a four letter word to me.
This is not to say that I don’t follow a specific program for a short period of time to get back on course, because I slip up like everyone else. But for the long term I prefer making easy changes, that suit my likes and dislikes, my taste in food, and my personality.
I believe in eating healthy, whole foods most of the time and eating treats in moderation without guilt.
Life and food is meant to be enjoyed. If I want to treat myself I refuse to eat zero calorie chemical concoctions. Give me a scoop of real ice cream, please.
The key is to find a balance between good nutrition, moderate portions and occasional indulgence.
My diet is a perfect example of the 80/20 rule. I strive to eat real, healthy foods 80% of the time, and convenience foods and treats the other 20% of the time. Do I succeed in following this rule? Sometimes. If my weight stays in check I’m OK with shortcuts and some packaged food items like Quest Bars and Amy’s frozen meals.
My best advice? Be an experiment of one. Find what works for you. Learn from each and every mistake you make. And keep plugging away! Weight loss and maintenance is a lifelong battle. Let’s be weight loss warriors together!